HISTORY OF THE BUILDING"
MARKET IN ROME - UPPER PART
had been Emperor of Rome from 98 to 117 CE succeding to Nerva who
governed only 2 years after Domiziano, Titus' brother. Trajan was
a general when he was nominated emperor and was busy with a war
against Germans so that it took to him 2 years to come to Rome to
receive the title form
the Senatus. Trajan's election signed the beginning of a new golden
period for Rome. He surely was a brave commander as during his control
managed to move the borders of the empire where no one arrived before,
neither Cesare and Augusto. He fought and won in Mesopotamia and
Assiria arriving till the Indian Ocean and in his intentions he
should have arrived further if he had not been already old. Coming
back from easter provinces died in Selino and to Rome arrived but
his ashes that was buried at the bottom of the beautiful Trajan's
column, a masterpiece commemorating the wars against Daci in 101
and 107 CE. Nevertheless Trajan had been also an intelligent administrator
inaugurating some iportant public works as the famous anphiteathre
in Verona, a new port in Ostia, a new acqueduct, his Foro and what
today is known as the Trajan's Markets in Rome.
Trajan's Markets had been built by Apollodoro, a genial architect
who always followed Trajan in his adventures, at the beginning of
II century A.D.. During the middle age the complex was transformed
adding some floor still visible today and building some defensive
elements as the Torre delle Milizie built in 1200. Also a convent
was later built in this area and demolished at the beginning of
XX cent. to give back to the city of Rome the Trajan's Markets in
their original aspect.
The entrance is in via IV Novembre as once was and immediately the
visitor enter into a shopping area disposed on two different
levels where it was distributed wheat for free to the people of
Rome. At the end of this hall a large balcony offers a beautiful
view on the markets, Trajan's Forum and Vittoriano. Really this
is not a balcony but a part of the Via Biberatica (from biber meaninig
drink, as here there were some taverns and grocer's shops) that
starts from the entrance and cut in two part the Trakjan's Market.
The upper part was surely used for offices while the lower part
in front of the Trajan's Forum had expecially shops selling oil,
wines, seafood, groceries, vegetables and fruits. The upper part
shows medieval houses on the top part facing the semicircolar part
of the via Biberatica. The lower part shows today two floors: a
ground floor level composed by shops with entry made in travertino,
a white stone, surmounted by an arch. The second level was formed
by adjoined shops selling wines and oil. A third level, today visible
only by some walls, appeared at the via Biberatica and probably
was used for grocer's shops.On
the lower part there're also two big halls probably used for audition
or concerts. Opening
hours: Daily from Tuesday to Sunday from 9 a.m. to
7 p.m. (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in winter). The box-office closes 30'
hour before. Closed on Monday and Jan 1st, May 1st, Dec 25th.
MARKET IN ROME - LOWER PART
Tickets: FULL 6.20 €. REDUCED
4,20 € (European Union citizens between 18 and 25 years old; -
European Union teachers of State schools only by showing valid
PICS and TORRE DELLE MILIZIE HISTORY"
delle Milizie - It stands right behind the Trajan's Markets.
The legend wants this is the tower from where Emperor Nero saw
Rome burning but obviously it's just a legend as the tower has
been buit in XII cent. Once it got three levels but the upper
part collapsed the 9th of September 1348.
IMAGES TO ENLARGE THEM
delle MILIZIE |
Trajan's Market have always been a requested area in Rome since
the time of barbarian invasions when the place was occupied by
Vandals and later by Byzantine army. But in the middle age the
area was fortified (hence the tower) and owned by Annibaldi family
that in fact had the title of "Dominus de Militis".
Later the place was sold to Caetani family and also enlarged becoming
with Castel Sant'Angelo one of the safer place in Rome. For this
reason Emperor Arrigo VII wanted to stay here during his visit
to Rome when he came to be crowned by the Pope. Later the tower
passed to Conti family that kept it till 1572. Then the tower
passed to the Vatican that built here the Convent of Santa Chiara.